Flames engulf and destroy home, displacing residents

CAMERON, N.Y. (18 NEWS) - A Cameron home is completely devastated after a fire burned down the house.

At 3:40 this afternoon, the Cameron Fire Department got a call about the fire on County Route 10A. A stove may be the culprit as to what started the fire.

"They're figuring it was either a pellet stove or the coal," Chief James Hoad of the Cameron Fire Department, said. "It had both, a pellet stove and a coal stove."

Firefighters battled the fire through heavy and thick smoke in frigid temperatures. The chief said a county highway employee reported the fire as he was sanding the road.

"When he went by the first time, there was nothing," Hoad explained. "It probably didn't take him 10 minutes to make that loop and come right back by. By that time, smoke was billowing out everywhere."

Four additional fire departments from Bath, Addison, Kanona and Hammondsport also provided assistance. The Steuben County Sheriff's office was also at the scene.

There were no reported injuries and the residents were not home at the time.

"The residents had left early this morning for a trip to Delaware," Hoad said. "They're down in Delaware."

Hoad said the home was uninsured and so no further investigation will be done. He added the two residents may be living with neighboring relatives in the meantime.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • 18 Mobile Apps
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Ski Report
  • Jump Start to Living Well
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • How Cool Is Your School?
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • WETM Special Reports

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center