Sponsored by

Shooting Woes Doom Orange Against Flyers

Tyler Ennis' shot just before the buzzer was off the mark as Dayton pulled off a 55-53 win in the third round of the NCAA Tournament
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Freshman Tyler Ennis' shot just before the buzzer was off the mark as Dayton pulled off a 55-53 win in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, March 22 at the First Niagara Center.

Ennis converted a layup with 18 second left to cut the deficit to 54-53. Syracuse forced a Dayton turnover on the ensuing inbounds as Jordan Sibert stepped out of bounds, but Ennis missed his jumper with seven seconds left.
After Dyshawn Pierre made 1-of-2 free throws with 6.5 seconds left to give the Flyers a two-point edge, the Orange still had one final chance. Ennis dribbled the ball down court and squared up for a three. However, his shot hit off the back of the rim and Dayton corralled the rebound as the clock expired.
Ennis led all players with 19 points, including 17 in the second half. Senior C.J. Fair posted his third double-double of the season in his final collegiate game with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Junior Rakeem Christmas chipped in on both ends of the court with six points and eight rebounds and sophomore Michael Gbinije added eight points.
Trailing just 20-18 entering the second half, a pair of free throws by Fair and a basket by Ennis on a drive through the lane brought the Orange within one at 27-26. But the Flyers responded with five unanswered points to take a 32-26 lead with 12:56 on the clock. Jordan Sibert's three-pointer gave Dayton a 35-30 lead at the 11:20 mark before a 10-2 run gave the Orange a 40-37 lead, its first since a 17-16 edge in the opening half.
Sophomore Jerami Grant hit his first shot attempt and Fair followed with a layup. Grant's steal led to Gbinije's layup which put the Orange up 38-37 at the 8:34 mark. Devin Oliver's jumper put Dayton back on top, but baskets by Fair and Ennis gave SU a 40-37 advantage with 7:49 on the clock.
Dayton answered back with a 10-2 stretch of its own over the next three minutes to regain a 47-42 advantage that it wouldn't relinquish. But Syracuse wouldn't go away and four straight points by Ennis cut the deficit to one, 47-46, with 2:43 to left. A block by Grant gave Syracuse a chance to take the lead, however an Orange turnover led to a layup by Scoochie Smith that gave Dayton a three-point edge.
Less than a minute later Siebert drilled a trifecta to put the Flyers up 52-46 when Ennis began to chip away. Ennis had an old-fashioned three-point play with 41 seconds left and made a pair from the charity stripe with only 25 ticks left to make it a 52-51 game.
The Flyers used an 8-2 scoring run jump out to an early seven-point advantage at 13-6 midway through the first half. Syracuse outscored the Flyers 13-3 over a span of nearly eight minutes while holding Dayton without a basket to take its first lead of the night at 17-16 with 2:32 left in the half. Fair started the scoring run with a basket and capped it with a pair of free throws. However, the Flyers recorded four of the last five points of the half to take a 20-18 lead into the locker room at halftime.
Dayton held a slight advantage in shooting at 41.3-percent (19-46) to 38.9-percent (21-54). But it was the long-range shots that did SU in. The Flyers were 43.8-percent (7-16) from beyond the arc while the Orange was 0-10. It was the first time since March 10, 1995 that Syracuse failed to convert a three-point attempt, a stretch of 664 consecutive games.
Pierre scored a team-high 14 points to lead Dayton and had six boards. Siebert contributed 10 points and Devin Oliver notched game highs of 10 rebounds and four assists to go along with seven points.

(SU Athletics)
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Top Video Stories