Watch the full debate in the player above.
ELMIRA, N.Y. (WETM) – May 24 was the night that the two candidates for the position of Elmira Mayor faced off in their first debate.
The candidates, Incumbent Mayor, Republican, Daniel Mandell, and his Democratic Party challenger, Jim Hassell agreed to participate in a live, televised debate on May 24. The debate was also streamed live on MyTwinTiers.com. 18 News Anchor, Jackie Gillis moderated the debate, which was held at the WETM studio.
The debated aired on WETM 18 News at 7 p.m. It streamed live on this web story.
Viewers and digital users were able to submit questions for the candidates on the 18 News Facebook page or by text. 18 News Reporter Nick Dubina handled viewer questions. However, only questions pertaining to policy matters and legitimate campaign issues were accepted.
There is another debate scheduled in October, at the Clemens Center, which will be held in front of a live audience.
Watch the answers to each question below:
1. What would you do to address the homeless crisis in Elmira and get aid to those in need?
2. Should sticker stops be allowed to stay open in Elmira?
3. Should police be more involved in cracking down on bullying in the Elmira City School District?
4. Should the City of Elmira have more of a voice in how First Area is operated?
5. If busloads of migrants were brought to our area, how should do you think that should be handled?
6. Mayor Mandell: What is one thing you’re most proud of about your time as mayor?
Mr. Hassel: What is one thing your administration would have done differently?
7. Do you think more could be done to fix Elmira’s streets?
8. What would you do to attract more businesses to Elmira?
9. What would you do to offer more activities for kids in our community?
10. Do you support term limits?
11. Do you agree with New York State’s recently enacted gun laws?
12. What would you do about the drug problem in Elmira?
13. What would you do about absent/out of state landlords in Elmira?
14. What does the City do well to preserve our local history? What could be done better?
15. Do you think the Elmira welcome sign should be replaced?
16. What are your biggest accomplishments? What do you admire about the City of Elmira?