The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued the following weather alerts:
…HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 7 PM TUESDAY…
- WHAT…Heat index values in the mid to upper 90s expected.
- WHERE…Yates, Seneca, Southern Cayuga, Onondaga, Schuyler, Chemung, Tompkins, Madison, Southern Oneida, Tioga and Broome counties.
- WHEN…From 11 AM to 7 PM EDT Tuesday.
- IMPACTS…Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS…The highest temperatures and heat indices will be found in the urban valley locations. Expect somewhat cooler conditions across the higher elevations.
Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent
rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.