ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — On Wednesday, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo said that the positive coronavirus infection rate is just over 1% across the state. However, in the hotspots that include Rockland and Orange counties, that percentage rate is 6.2%.
“We call 6.2% a ‘red zone,’ but in many states, it is less than the statewide infection rate of other states,” Cuomo said.
Elsewhere in New York, if the hotspots are excluded, the statewide average is 0.95%.
During the call with the media, Cuomo announced that musical group The Chainsmokers will be fined for a concert that happened this summer. The Town of Southampton, where the event took place, is also facing some consequences. The town will not be able to approve permits for outdoor gatherings without approval from the state first.
- Elmira man indicted after Diven Ave. standoff; arrested with six guns & drugs
- Four inductees announced for Video Game Hall of Fame 2021 class
- DA: Missing Buff State student appears to have died of suicide
- COVID memories pop up on social media as pandemic rolls on
- CDC research projects COVID’s toll on US will dip sharply by end of July