Governor Andrew M. Cuomo says more than 14,000 tickets were issued during this year’s “Operation Work Brake.”
The yearly campaign conducted in partnership between the State Police and the New York State Thruway Authority aims to raise awareness of the dangers of reckless driving in work zones at the start of highway construction season.
This year’s enforcement efforts, which took place from April 22 to April 26, were expanded to include NYS Department of Transportation work zones around the state.
“In the wake of the loss of one of our own DOT workers earlier this year, we will continue to double down on our efforts to educate motorists about work zone safety and its importance in protecting workers, drivers, and passengers,” Governor Cuomo said. “Our message is clear—those who jeopardize the safety of others on our highways will be held accountable, and State Troopers will continue to aggressively patrol in and around our work zones to help prevent a tragedy like this from happening again.”
More than 5,000 speeding tickets were issued during the crackdown, and 682 tickets were issued for speeding in a work zone.