Carbon Monoxide safety tips

News
Carbon_Monoxide_safety_tips_0_20181127231650

In New York State, Carbon Monoxide detectors are mandated in households and commercial buildings. 

Corning Fire Department Lieutenant Steven Phelps said there have been instances where callers have reported feeling sick with no carbon monoxide detector in the house. 

“We do carry one in our medical bag, it’s always running, and we’ve found out that it was carbon monoxide through our detector,” Lt. Phelps said about those instances. 

Officials highly recommend for every household to install a detector on every floor of the building. 

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer due to its colorless and odorless components. 

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental, non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The invisible gas is created when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, like a furnace, heater or generator, is not working or vented properly. 

“You may get nauseous, sick, dizzy, by the time you get the effects, you have an amount in your system, worst case scenario, if it’s not attended to, it could cause, unfortunately, death,” Steven Phelps, Lieutenant at the City of Corning Fire Department, said. 

A person can be poisoned by a small amount of carbon monoxide over a longer period of time or by a large amount over a shorter amount of time. 

Although calling 9-1-1 should be the first step of action if carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, the ultimate guard is a carbon monoxide detector. 

“Carbon monoxide detectors will beep four times, pause, four times, pause,” Lt. Phelps said. “That means it’s detecting carbon monoxide, that means there’s a problem, you should move to fresh air immediately and call 911.”

Some devices require a nine volt battery, which can be inserted on the side of the detector.

The devices should be checked and replaced every half a year to ensure the safety of yourself and your family. 

For more information on carbon monoxide safety, click here

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now