It’s the season for toasty fireplaces and cozying up, but the dangers that reside in chimneys could result in devastating fires if not taken care of in a timely manner.
Burning logs give off gases and could cause carbon or creosote deposits to build up on chimney walls.
The City of Elmira Fire Department said failing to keep a chimney clear of debris could be the culprit to disastrous results like house fires.
Types of woods that are burned could also play a role in unexpected accidents.
The fire department said burning pine is one of the leading causes of chimney fires and should be avoided.
They also said flames often spread along the top into the rafters and roof and can rapidly burn the entire home to the ground.
The best way to steer clear from any of these situations is to have the chimney cleaned and inspected before and after every winter season.
Those who use fireplaces frequently will need will need to maintain the chimneys more often.
For more information on fire safety, click here.