Registration is underway for a free, six-week educational program in Hornell focusing on the needs of family and friends who care for older adults suffering from long-term conditions.
“Powerful Tools for Caregivers” will be held 1:30-3:30 PM each Tuesday beginning May 7 through June 11 at the Hornell Senior Center, 20 Broadway Mall.
Sponsored by the Steuben County Office For the Aging in partnership with the Finger Lakes Alzheimer‟s Caregivers Institute the series provides participants with the skills and confidence they need to care for themselves while caring for others.
The series aims to:
- Reduce personal stress
- Change negative self-talk
- Communicate their needs to family members and health care providers
- Communicate more effectively in challenging situations
- Recognize the messages in their emotions
- Deal with difficult feelings and make tough caregiving decisions.
The program is supported through an NYS Department of Health grant and is free for family caregivers. It is sponsored by the Steuben County Office for the Aging in collaboration with the Finger Lakes Alzheimer‟s Caregiver Institute.