Halloween Hazards, What to lookout for

x (Do not use) Local News - -

This weekend brings one of the most anticipated nights of a child’s year. Experts with the American Association of Poison Control have some tips on how to make Halloween a treat for everyone.

Parents should inspect all of their children’s candy for holes or tears before eating. Be sure to throw away any pieces that look like they may have been tampered with, or could be a choking hazard. Also, avoid eating homemade treats from strangers. While they may look delicious, they could contain unsafe ingredients.

If you or your child will be wearing face makeup, experts recommend testing it in another area of the skin first, to check for an allergic reaction. Avoid the eyes when applying costume makeup, and be sure to remove it all before going to bed. Also, if the makeup has a bad smell, throw it away. It could be a sign of contamination.

Finally, remind children not to chew on or break open glow sticks, or any other glow in the dark products. The liquid may cause skin irritation or cause nausea and burning if swallowed. Also, never put them in the microwave.

For a little extra caution, add the number for the Poison Help Hotline to your phone contacts, so you will be prepared in an emergency. That number is 1-800-222-1222.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now