Heat pad for animals ignites Geneseo house fire

Local News
imgonline-com-ua-FrameBlurred-aGt0Q9oMCiih_1551545566686.jpg

A fire broke out at a house in Geneseo on Saturday, March 2, shortly before 1 a.m. Geneseo Fire and EMS were called to the residence located on Westview Crescent. 

When first arriving, Geneseo Police officers both of the home’s occupants had exited the house to its rear deck with their dog.  

It took firefighters an hour to bring the fire under control.

Fire crews said the home and attached garage were a total loss. Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire nor were any animals. 

A vehicle in the driveway was moved by firefighters preventing damage, while a second vehicle suffered minor damage.

According to fire crews, one neighboring home suffered heat damage to its siding. The home’s occupants were evacuated but were able to return after the crews brought the fire under control. 

Crews said the fire was caused by a malfunction of an electric heat pad used for outdoor animals. The heat pad was inside a small animal shelter on the front porch.

Both of the home’s occupants were checked by EMS crews on scene and released. 

Departments from Avon, Mt. Morris, Livonia, Livingston County Emergency Management and Livingston Co. Emergency Medical Services assisted Geneseo firefighters.

Image courtesy of the Geneseo Fire Department 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now