Mother keeps custody after baby overdoses in Rochester

Local News

The mother of the baby who overdosed after swallowing a bag at a home in Rochester will get to keep custody of the child.

Angeline DeJesus was arraigned Thursday morning on charges of endangering the welfare of a child. DeJesus’ son Prince was treated with Narcan on Sunday after swallowing a bag that was dropped in his playpen inside the Roycroft Drive home.

DeJesus was arrested along with the boy’s grandparents: 48-year-old Edaliz Torres and 67-year-old Bartolomeo Blackburn.

In a statement to police, DeJesus admitted she knew the house wasn’t safe for the boy and she said she was trying to move. Prosecutors say she allowed the nine-month-old to live in a home with two known heroin users.

In a statement, DeJesus writes: “Both my mom, Edaliz, and my ‘uncle’ Bartolomeo… use heroin and live in the same house as me. One of them must have dropped a bag in the playpen.”

DeJesus also admits she didn’t at first disclose that the boy may have swallowed heroin during Sunday’s emergency. She said, “I was scared, but I did tell the police officer on the way to the hospital.”

A search of the home found a bag, similar to the one Prince swallowed, in a bedroom. Officers say it tested positive for Fentanyl — a powerful opioid that is often cut with heroin.

When asked why the child was allowed to remain with DeJesus, prosecutors said CPS had evaluated the situation and deemed it was best for the boy to stay with his mother. They say the family is now staying in a new house.

Corinda Crossdale, commissioner of health and human services for the county, said “each case is different, because we’re dealing with human beings, so the decisions made are based on whatever evidence is gathered.”

DeJesus also has custody of Prince’s brother Legend.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now