Albert Street fire ruled an accident

Local News

UPDATE: The City of Elmira Fire Department has ruled the fire on Albert Street on Tuesday, Feb. 26 an accident. 

The Department says the resident inadvertently turned on the stove and ignited items stored on top of the stove. 

—————————————————————————————————————

UPDATE: A GoFundMe has been established for a family affected by the fire on Albert Street Tuesday afternoon.

The family that lived in the adjoining unit of the building is said to be ok after the building’s second unit had a fire in the kitchen, but they can not live in the unit and lost several belongings, according to the fundraiser.

A gentleman who lived in the unit that caught fire was taken to the hospital for observation.

———————————————————————————————————————–

UPDATE: A firefighter at the scene said that the fire started in the kitchen and that the homeowner was taken to the hospital for observation.

The Elmira Fire Department says that the man is visually impaired, which may have played a part in the fire.

A family in building’s second unit escaped unharmed. 

Firefighters credit smoke alarms and fire walls for keeping the fire spreading to the apartment on the right side of the home

As of right now, the fire is not considered suspicious.

——————————————————————————————————-

Firefighters are responding to a structure fire at 458 Albert Street in Elmira.

Heavy smoke could be seen coming out of windows as crews responded to the home.

Four fire trucks from the Elmira and Southport Fire Departments, the Elmira Police Department, and Erway Ambulance responded to the blaze, which left a side of the home charred.

An ambulance is on scene standing by.

There is no word yet on the cause of the fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

41
Days
16
Hours
30
Minutes
06
Seconds

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now