Chemung County Exec. Tom Santulli responds to sales tax revenue increase

Local News

Chemung County sales tax revenues are up 6.5% in the first quarter of 2018, compared to last year. 

“I wasn’t expecting a 6.5% increase, to be up nearly a million dollars in the first quarter is very good,” Tom Santulli, Chemung County Executive, said. 

The county keeps 70% of that money, and the other 30% is distributed among the towns and villages. 

 “If the sales tax stays the way it is, we’ll be able to have our 14th consecutive year with no property tax increase,” Santulli said. 

The City of Elmira announced their $4.5 million in debt, in December. Santulli says this sales tax increase will help, but not drastically. 

“The number they have, the financial problem, is much larger than this sales increase will do to any magnitude,” Santulli said. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now