MONTOUR FALLS, N.Y. – The Schuyler County Historical Society will be telling ghost stories at the Montour Falls Harvest Festival on Saturday, Oct. 5.
The Society’s Lee School on Route 14 south will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Festival Day. Always-popular ghost walks will start at Chequagua Falls every 30 minutes from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Retired teachers Marty Evans and Judy VanSkiver will play the role of schoolmarms, welcoming visitors of all ages to the historic Lee School. The one-room schoolhouse was built in 1884 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It contains a large wood-burning stove, school desks, books, blackboards and an antique world globe, all exhibited as they would have been used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The ghost walks will be led by Schuyler Historian Gary Emerson every half-hour from 4-6 p.m., starting at the Falls. Learn where the ghost of Charles Cook still causes mischief, where the voice of Red Jacket can still be heard and where Queen Catharine Montour’s spirit still walks among the twilight mist. See a real Ghost Shirt from the 19th century and hear about murders and eerie happenings that occurred within our local surroundings.
The Historical Society’s Festival table will be near TJ’s Bar and Grill on Main Street. The Society’s Brick Tavern Museum and Wickham Rural Life Center, 108 N. Catharine St./Route 14, will be open for visitors from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. during the Festival.
For more information, contact the Schuyler County Historical Society at (607) 535-9741 or email@example.com.