Lawn equipment ignites Big Flats barn, structure a “total loss”

Local News
Fire destroys shed

BIG FLATS, N.Y. (WETM) – A barn in Big Flats has been declared “a total loss” by Big Flats Fire Department Chief Billy Fesetch after a fire Monday afternoon.

The Big Flats Fire Department responded around 1:30 p.m. to the barn fire near the Elmira/Corning Regional Airport. Fesetch tells 18 News that someone had finished mowing their grass and stored the mower in the shed prior to the fire.

The heat from the lawnmower likely ignited something inside the shed, according to Fesetch

No livestock was in the barn during the fire, and some lawn equipment was destroyed as a result.

Fesetch recommends keeping lawnmowers outside for a few hours before storing them so that they can cool down.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now