The annual budget vote and school board election for school districts across New York is fast approaching. All districts will hold their election and budget votes on May 21,2019.
The Elmira City School District announced on Tuesday the candidates running to obtain the four open seats on the board of education. Three of those open seats will be a three year term, running from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. The fourth open seat is a one year term plus, running from May 21, 2019 to June 30, 2020. Below are the candidates running for the open seats.
- Joshua Palmer, a former social studies teacher at Elmira High School
- Rose Drake, dean at Ernie Davis Academy
- Ruth Bruning, former music teacher at Elmira City School District
- Sara Lattin, district office director for Senator Tom O’Mara
- Victor Long Junior, president of Fathers Helping Father
The Corning-Painted Post School Board has three open seats that they are looking to fill. There are a total of for candidates running for the open seats. Wednesday evning the board of education is holding a meet the candidates forum, so the audience is able to submit questions to be asked of the four candidates.
The Elmira Heights Central School District is holding a public hearing Wednesday evening to go over the proposed 2019-2020 budget. All residents are welcome to attend the hearing, which will be held at the community room at 7 pm.