SAYRE, Pa. (WETM) – The Sayre Area School District has released a new transportation plan for the 2021-22 school year that includes new busing and walking route plans.
The district says the new plan is due to a shortage of qualified bus drivers in the area.
Fifty-two elementary school students in Sayre living between Stevenson Street and Hayden Street will now have to walk to school and nine bus stops were eliminated.
- Allison Street and North Elmer Ave
- Allison Street and North Wilbur Ave
- Allison Street and West Lochart Street
- Hayden Street and South Elmer Ave
- Hayden Street and South Wilbur Ave
- Hayden Street and South Hopkins Street
- South Elmer Ave and West Packer Ave
- South Wilbur Ave and Hospital Place
- West Lochart Street and South Hopkins Street
The district is recommending that students who live on the north side of Lockhart Street walk to the North Hopkins Street to Mohawk Street crossing guard at Keystone Ave and Mohawk Street.
Those living on the south end are recommended to cross Lockard at Hopkins and proceed to Mohawk Street.
A crossing guard will no longer be provided at Keystone Ave and Stevenson Street
Safety will always remain a priority of our District. It is imparitive that our families partner with us as we make changes to implement our reopening plan. Parents of elementary students should practice the walking route with their child(ren) multiple times in preparation for the new school year.Barry Claypool, Businses Manager Sayre Area School District.
The first day of school in Sayre is Aug. 24, 2021.