Steuben County Approves Bridge Replacement Funding

Local News

The Steuben County Legislature approved funding for the design of a bridge replacement project in the Town of Hornellsville on Monday morning.

“You can figure that around 55 to 60 years, a bridge is going to have to have some major work done on it,” Public Works Commissioner Vincent Spagnoletti said.

The County Route 66 bridge right over the Canisteo River in the Town of Hornellsville won’t look the way it currently does for much longer.

“It was built in 1956,” Public Works Engineer Stephen Catherman said. “There was minor rehab done to it in the early 90’s. There is deteriorated concrete. The steel is aging. It’s fatiguing, and the concrete substructures are also spalling and deteriorating.”

Despite these issues, the bridge is currently open because there are no safety concerns, but to prevent any further damage or potential safety issues, it’s being replaced.

The state graded the bridge a 4.4 out of 7. Anything below 5 is considered to be deficient.

Financial resources will not come locally, but instead 80 percent will be funded federally with the remaining 20 percent coming from the state.

The estimated design cost will be $350,000 dollars. The estimated construction cost will be $3,200,00 dollars.

The most critical decision the county will face is whether to build a detour bridge parallel to the existing one or save $500,000 dollars by sending traffic to existing routes.

The preliminary plan is not build a detour bridge but to send traffic onto County Route 65 in front of A.L. Blades & Sons Inc.

As for who will work on the project… the county will have an open bid in the winter of 2019-2020.

“We’ll get the bids in from the contractors, and the low bid from the legitimate contractor will get the project,” Spagnoletti said. “Then we’ll start building it the following summer.”

The entire project is expected to be completed by late 2020 or early 2021.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

If you have a news tip or a correction to the story you can email it to us through this link. If you would like to send a comment to the author of the story, you can find their email on our Meet the Team page.

Trending Now