Woodstock 50 files third application for Vernon Downs festival

Local News

The Town of Vernon Attorney, Vincent Rossi, has told Eyewitness News that another application to stage the Woodstock 50 festival at Vernon Downs was submitted Wednesday.

The third application was filed with the Town of Vernon Wednesday, one after the Vernon Town Planning Board voted to uphold the town’s Codes Departments denial of a previous application.

Two previous applications to hold three concerts at Vernon Downs, August 16, 17 & 18th. The primary reasons for the denials was that the applications fell outside of the 120 day time line before the event.

When the Town Planning Board, who was the entity that ruled on the promoter’s appeal, also cited various concerns they had regarding a lack of complete data in the applications pertaining to security and traffic concerns.

Maciol Comments

Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol, who had come out against the idea of staging the concerts, due to safety concerns, posted the following comment of the CNYhomepage Facebook page:

I’m not surprised by their last attempt to hold this event in Vernon. The very serious public safety concerns I had yesterday are still the same ones I have today, nothing has changed that would make me feel otherwise. With only 29 days until the event, there is no practical or logistical possibility that this event could occur without significant risk to public safety.

Gural Responds

In response to the news of the latest application by the Woodstock 50 promoters, Vernon Downs owner Jeff Gural said this:

“This was a great opportunity to put VERNON on the map and the towns attorney killed it so I really hope they succeed but think it will be hard, just a lost opportunity.”

Gural spoke in support of the concert proposal at the Tuesday evening town meeting in Vernon. Woodstock 50 promoters also made a presentation. Earlier in the day, Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente and Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol had released lengthy statements explaining their concerns with the Woodstock 50 applications and urging the Planning Board to uphold the denial.

After the Planning Board voted to uphold the Codes Department’s denial of the application, Michael Lang, one of the Woodstock 50 promoters, told WSYR – TV that he would not reapply in Vernon. Greg Pack, another Woodstock 50 promoters, said that they would reapply.It is not yet known what is included in the latest application or what the time line is for the town to respond.

It is not yet known what is included in the latest application or what the time line is for the town to respond.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now