New York State Department of Environmental Conservation cautions against dangerous plants

News
hogweedandparsnip_1530202354588.jpg

Giant hogweed (left) and wild parsnip (right) have been found in the surrounding area.  These plants are very dangerous and should not be touched.  

The sap in these plants can, in combination with sunlight and moisture, cause severe skin and eye irritation, painful blistering, permanent scarring and, in some cases, blindness.

If you come in contact with giant hogweed, immediately wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and water and keep the area away from sunlight for 48 hours. This plant poses a serious health threat; see your physician if you think you have been burned by giant hogweed.

If you have come in contact with wild parsnip, wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and water, and keep it covered for at least 48 hours to prevent a reaction and if a reaction occurs, keep the affected area out of sunlight to prevent further burning and see a physician.

If you find giant hogweed, send photos to ghogweed@dec.ny.gov or call (845) 256-3111.

For more information on giant hogweed, click here and to learn more about wild parsnip, click here.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now