The state is warning consumers after a New York resident recently contracted an illness after drinking raw milk from a farm in Pennsylvania.
We’re told the resident was diagnosed with RB51, a strain of the Brucella abortus bacteria, after drinking raw milk from Miller’s Biodiversity Farm in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
The investigation into the illness is ongoing, but officials say it appears the raw milk was responsible for the infection. If you have products from the farm or recently used products from the farm, the state recommends throwing out the products and contacting your health provider.
The state says symptoms include:
Brucellosis can cause a range of symptoms including fever, sweats, chills, weight loss, headache, fatigue and muscle and joint pain. Symptoms may appear up to six months after exposure. In severe cases, infections of the bones, joints, reproductive organs, central nervous system or lining of the heart may occur. The infection also can cause fetal loss in pregnant women.
State Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker said, “Raw milk products can contain harmful bacteria which can pose serious health risks. Pasteurization standards are in place to protect the public from diseases which are transmitted in raw milk and dairy products. It is critical for New Yorkers to understand the dangers of these products and avoid their consumption.”
After the infection was reported, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture issued an order blocking sales of raw milk from the farm while an investigation is underway.