Charleston Township house fire caused by welding torch in garage, first responders say

Pennsylvania News

CHARLESTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. (WETM) – Multiple departments responded to a structure fire in Charlestown Township near Wellsboro Wednesday afternoon, September 8.

According to a fireman on the scene, the son of the family in the house was using a torch on a motorcycle in the garage. When he dropped the torch, it exploded and started a massive fire within minutes.

First responders were called in to the fire around 3:30 p.m. Images show that a house in the 12800 block of Route 6 is severely damaged, and it appears a vehicle in front of the house was damaged, as well.

Crews said the fire was put out at 5:20 p.m.

According to a reporter on the scene, fire departments that responded included Mansfield, Middlebury, Wellsboro, Blossburg, and Lawrenceville. The reporter said the Troy Fire Department is standing by.

18 News will continue to follow this story and provide more information as it becomes available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

If you have a news tip or a correction to the story you can email it to us through this link. If you would like to send a comment to the author of the story, you can find their email on our Meet the Team page.

More Pennsylvania News

Trending Now