Tips to avoid holiday hazards

News

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) – The New York Poison Center at Upstate Medical University is reminding people of common “holiday hazards” that could poison yourself or a loved one. Here are a few tips to prevent items meant to bring joy from causing injury instead:

  • If you choose to gather together, keep suitcases, and purses out of reach of children and pets.
  • Do not leave alcoholic drinks unattended. Even a small amount can be poisonous to a child.
  • Find a safe place now for your medication or a family member’s medication. Make sure medicines are up, away, and out of sight of children.
  • Mistletoe berries, Holly Berry and Jerusalem Cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children cannot reach them.
  • Don’t leave tobacco products like cigarettes or vape pens in view of children. Even a small amount of vape juice can be toxic to a child. Just one cigarette (or butt) swallowed by a child could mean a trip to an ER.
  • Have your heating system checked by a professional. Check the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors.
  • Combat food poisoning by keeping hot food hot and cold food cold. Refrigerate or freeze any perishable food within two hours.
  • Wash your hands often and keep hand sanitizers out of the reach of children.
  • Many children’s toys contain lithium button batteries (flat, coin-like batteries). If eaten, they can get stuck in the throat or stomach and cause a blockage or serious burns.

View the video created by the New York Poison Center at Upstate Medical University below:

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mobile Apps DMB_1503428499636.png

Trending Now