BATH, N.Y. (WETM) -UPDATE: A Go-Fund-Me page was created for the homeowners of this Bath home, which was destroyed in a fire on Friday. Friends say the couple was out of their home at the time of the blaze due to a doctors appointment for their baby-on-the-way.
The Bath Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched for a structure fire at 6838 County Route 15 in the town of Bath at 3:13 in the afternoon.
Assistant Chief Mike Fiordo was the first to arrive on scene and reported a working structure fire with heavy smoke coming from both the front and back doors of a ranch style home.
He requested a second alarm and for the Bath VA to setup a fill site at the neighboring pond at the top of the hill.
There was no one home at the time but firefighters were able to make entry to the home and rescue three dogs from inside.
Firefighters and Bath Volunteer Ambulance personnel were able to revive the dogs. One was taken to Steuben Veterinary Clinic and checked over but is doing well.
Due to the heavy winds fanning the fire a third alarm was called for more manpower and additional tankers.
Multiple fire crews responded to the fire.