(WETM -TV) – Last year, it was announced that Jeff Gural, owner of Tioga Downs Casino Resort, had launched The Tioga Downs Regional Community Foundation.
Mr. Gural’s Foundation will be awarding $1 million annually to contribute to community development in the counties surrounding Tioga Downs Casino Resort. The goal of the Foundation is to provide financial support to charitable organizations that combat poverty and contribute to community enhancement.
The first $250,000 in funding went to sixteen different non-profit organizations in January 2019, and Tioga Downs is excited to announce that the Foundation will be awarding even more to a second group of non-profit organizations, tonight at the Resort’s Tioga Golf Clubhouse.
The following local organizations are congratulated for being recipients of the second round grants totaling over $500,000.00:
1. A New Hope Center – Upgrades to the interior of its domestic violence shelter (beds, mattresses, window shades, a dishwasher, and a video recording security system.)
2. Abby’s Paws for a Cause – Support for animals and help to create a feeling of acceptance and hope among students through youth involvement and youth leadership efforts for students in the Elmira City School District in Grades 3 through High School.
3. American Legion Post 80 – Repairs to existing electrical and plumbing issues.
4. American Special Hockey Association – Support for special hockey festival.
5. Apalachin Lions Foundation – Support for back to school program to provide needy school children with a shopping trip.
6. Area Agency on the Aging – Coverage for transportation costs for the volunteers of the Foster Grandparent Program.
7. Area Agency on the Aging for Counties of Bradford, Sullivan, Susquehanna and Tioga –Support for Meals on Wheels Program in Bradford County.
8. Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Southern Tier – Help to cover the costs of 1:1 mentor program for 100 youth.
9. Broome County Urban league – Support for project funding gaps.
10. Camp Ahwaga Association – Awarded support funds
11. Chemung County Child Care Council – Support for Elmira Family Resource Center expansion.
12. Child Hunger Outreach Partners – Help to expand the Child Hunger Outreach Partners program into Bradford and Tioga Counties.
13. Children’s House Child Advocacy Center – Help to improve the experiences of children and families following allegations of abuse.
14. Coburn Library – Coburn Free Library Accessibility Project (3 story elevator to access all levels of library building).
15. Community Options NY – Purchase of 20 iPads and related accessories for use in a work readiness for adults with disabilities across Tioga/Broome and Chenango counties.
16. Conklin Veterans Memorial – Assistance to purchase granite monuments that will be engraved with the names of veterans, as well as summer landscaping and maintenance help.
17. Corning Council for the Assistance and Information to the Disabled – Purchase of furniture for new homeless housing in Chemung County.
18. Family Service Society – Support for Elmira Youth Mentoring Program.
19. Hope Foundation of Binghamton – Funds to send 40 local abused, abandoned, and neglected foster children to camp to experience positive memories and royal treatment.
20. Horseheads Family Recourse Center – General funds to support its efforts to provide inclusive, strength-based programs for young children and families that increase school readiness, support informed parenting, and strengthen community relationships.
21. Muscular Dystrophy Association – Support for summer camp for children ages 8-17 living with muscular dystrophy and related life-threatening diseases.
22. New Beginnings United Methodist Church – Financial support for their food pantry.
23. Northeast Bradford Education Foundation – Support for Elementary STEM / Lab Maker space.
24. Northern Tier Veterans Group – Support for dependents of deployed military personnel and veteran related community events in Bradford County.
25. Owego Serviceman Memorial Home – Tioga American Legion Post 401 Owego – Awarded funds to cover handicap accessibility for entrance and bathrooms to hold community and youth functions.
26. SOS Shelter – Awarded funds for general operating support for its domestic violence shelter, which provides basic needs and other supportive services to approximately 240 women, men, and children annually.
27. Southern Tier Music Teachers Association – Awarded funds for Annual Music Competition expenses.
28. Stand with Me Assistance Dog Team Training – Awarded funds to provide an assistance dog program for local veterans with service-related mental health disabilities.
29. The Foundation for the State University of New York at Binghamton – Awarded funds for a community-based initiative to support K-12 students with chronic absenteeism enrolled in the B.U.S. Bucks Program at local partner community schools.
30. The Foundation for the State University of New York at Binghamton – Awarded funds to strengthen and expand the Binghamton University Community Schools Summer Zones held in four Broome County locations.
31. The Neighborhood Transformation Center – Awarded funds to help with general funding and operating costs of the Neighborhood Transformation Center, fund upkeep to the building, and towards the salary for one full time and two part time staff.
32. Tiger Farm – Awarded funds to provide funding for Agricultural classroom and garden supplies.
33. Tioga County Boys and Girls Club – Awarded funds for youth scholarships and field trips.
34. Troy Lions club – Awarded funds for Christmas Basket Program.
35. Vestal Public Library – Awarded funds for equipment to launch a digital literacy program to teach adults and the underserved in Broome County.
36. Whitney Point Day Care – Awarded funds for restoring historic part of the building that houses day care program.