LOWMAN, N.Y. (18 NEWS) - Major construction is on the way for the Lowman Crossover Bridge.
Chemung County's Department of Public Works held a public meeting Thursday to outline the extent of the project for residents in the area.
The original bridge was built in 1988 but needs some structural rehabilitation. 80% of the funding for the project is coming from federal aid and the other 20% is coming from the state.
Construction on the bridge is likely to bring detours for drivers but DPW says its necessary.
"What this means is that it's a major rehabilitation of the bridge," Chemung County Department of Public Works Commissioner, Andrew Avery said. "This isn't just a minor thing where we are doing repairs to the existing structure. We're going to leave the piers in place, everything above that is going to be removed. New beams are coming in to replace the old, concrete beams with steel beams. We're getting the conduit that's on the upstream side protected on the inside of the steel beams."
Once construction begins, it's estimated to take nine months to complete. DPW believes the project will be completed in 2020.
High drama as the search for a Schuylkill County man indicted for…
MONTOURSVILLE, LYCOMING COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) Tuesday…
Community Arts of Elmira will be hosting a Chemung County Chamber of…