Local News

Fire breaks out inside unit at Elmira storage facility

ELMIRA, N.Y. (18 NEWS) - UPDATE (4:30 a.m.) A fire sparked inside a unit at a storage facility in Elmira causing major damage, according to city fire officials.

It happened just before 10 p.m. Thursday inside a unit at the U-Store-It facility located at 1576 Lake Street. 

City fire officials tell 18 News, two of the units are totaled, and several others are damaged. 

They do not know the cause of the fire just yet. They said they're currently investing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a scene of smoke, billowing from a storage facility on Sullivan street in Elmira.

The smoke was reported just before 10 p.m. Elmira Fire and Police Departments responded to the scene.

Our photographer on scene saw the smoke billowing from one of the storage units, and police blocking off the street.

At this time, it's unclear how the smoke started. Police and fire crews were unable to comment on the situation.

18 News will update you with any new details once new information is made available.

(This is a Breaking News story, please check back for updates) 
 


More Stories

Latest News

Video Center