UPDATE: Fire Weather Warning no longer in effect for the Northern Tier
The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued the following weather alert:
…RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR GUSTY WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY FOR ALL COUNTIES IN NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA…
- Affected Area… Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Timing… until 10 PM Friday.
- Winds…Northwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
- Relative Humidity…As low as 12 to 19 percent.
- Temperatures…Highs between 52 to 62 degrees this afternoon.
- Impacts…Low Relative Humidity and increased winds will allow
fuels to dry out. As a result conditions are expected to become
favorable for fire spread.
The National Weather Service in State College has issued the following weather alert:
…RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR EAST-CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA…
- The National Weather Service in State College has issued a Red Flag Warning, which is in effect from 9 AM this morning to 10 PM EDT this evening. The Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
- AFFECTED AREA…Fire Weather Zones 037 Tioga, 041 Northern Lycoming, 042 Sullivan, 046 Southern Lycoming, 049 Union, 050 Snyder, 051 Montour, 052 Northumberland, 053 Columbia, 057
Dauphin, 058 Schuylkill, 059 Lebanon, 065 York and 066 Lancaster.
- TIMING…Friday morning through Friday evening.
- WINDS…Northwest 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
- RELATIVE HUMIDITY…As low as 15 percent.
- TEMPERATURES…Mid 50s to low 60s this afternoon.
- IMPACTS…Rapid wildfire growth and spread expected. Outdoor
burning is not recommended.
A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring or are imminent due to a combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and dry fuels. Any fires that develop may quickly get out of control and become difficult to contain.