MyTwinTiers.com presents Employers Spotlight, spotlighting the top employers in the Twin Tiers. Each month we will focus on a local business promoting their hiring needs and why should someone work for their company.
About The Arc of Chemung-Schuyler
Have you been looking for meaningful work that makes a real difference in people’s lives? If you are a great communicator, patient, a teacher, a mentor, compassionate regarding other’s needs, empathetic of the challenges others face, feel rewarded from helping others succeed, and enjoy a job that will challenge you, we invite you to apply for a position that may be just what you are looking for!
They currently have open positions in the Elmira, Watkins Glen and Dansville area
We Provide Staff Development and Ongoing Training
One of the largest employers in the Chemung-Schuyler County region, we are an employer who is committed to supporting each staff member in growing and developing to his/her fullest potential. The Arc of Chemung-Schuyler recognizes the value of staff that are motivated by, and committed to, a continual learning environment. So, whether a staff member is interested in enriching his/her current position, or looking for career advancement, The Arc of Chemung-Schuyler has development opportunities available. Examples include Tuition Reimbursement, In-service Training, External Training Opportunities Program, Corning Community College Educational Opportunities Program, Mentoring Program, Job Rotation, and Shadowing, just to name a few.
View details about our benefits and all current job descriptions online at
Like us on Facebook to see more about our work and get a sense of what we are doing with the people we support.
Direct Support Professional – staff work hands-on with the people we support teaching a wide variety of skills, an entry-level position requiring no prior work experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Personal care needs for our individuals such as feeding and active treatment.
- Assisting on outings.
- Maintaining general upkeep of the residence including cooking, housekeeping, and laundry.
- Acts as an advocate for our individuals about community inclusion.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a driver’s record accepted by our insurance carrier.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have basic computer proficiency; Email, Microsoft Word and Excel, and an ability to learn new programs.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds with or without accommodations. All DSP applicants must pass an informed hiring physical assessment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening. The Arc conducts random testing and is committed to a drug-free workplace.
- Subject to FBI fingerprinting in order to conduct a complete criminal background check as required by NYS law, the Justice Center and OPWDD.
- Must be cleared through the NYS statewide central registry for child abuse as required by NYS law.
- Must clear a Justice Center inquiry to ensure the applicant is authorized to work with vulnerable persons.
- Preferred candidates will have an associate degree in human services or related field and 1 or more years of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
The Arc of Chemung Schuyler also has several Professional Openings which include:
- Speech Therapist
You can view those job descriptions HERE